RARA-AVIS: ARIZONA KISS and HOWARD STREET

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Apr 2004

After all the great recommendations, I had to read this one. Great book. It reminded me a lot of Cain's THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, style and content. Appropriate, since the book is dedicated to Cain. The fact that I guessed the plot twist at the end did nothing to lessen my appreciation. I generally hazard a guess about the ending of most the books I read, and I'm seldom right. It is inevitable and just, as the saying goes, that even the blind hog gets the ear of corn every once in a while.

The last two sentences of ARIZONA KISS were as hard-hitting as Mickey Spillane's ending for I, THE JURY.

Off-topic for the month's theme, but still on target as hardboiled and noir, I read Nathan Heard's HOWARD STREET. More insight and better prose that Goines or Iceberg. My only complaint is that the tension between Gypsy Pearl and Franchot seemed a little awkward and maybe a bit contrived. Still it was a good, enjoyable book. His portrayal of the tough Howard Street neighborhood was vivid and colorful. Was it you, Mark, who said you liked junkie novels? I got Burroughs's JUNKIE a couple weeks ago. I think I might stay on the junkie theme for one more book and read it.

miker