Re: RARA-AVIS: I blame Dean Martin

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 19 Apr 2004

Being an Old Guy, I remember reading about the premiere of the first of those Matt Helm movies, which I think was THE SILENCERS. Anyway, whatever it was, Donald Hamilton was interviewed and quoted in the article. He didn't seem bothered too much by the fact that the movie in no way at all resembled his books. He was just glad to get the money.

Television continued in the tradition of making the very Scandinavian Helm into an Italian by casting Tony Franciosa in the role. I watched one of those episodes, I believe. At least Tony didn't sing.

Bill Crider