Re: RARA-AVIS: Richard Abshire

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 19 Apr 2004

Bill,

I was also left a bit cold by the Abshire book I read, in my case, The Dallas Drop. The plot was vaguely reminiscent of the Maltese Falcon, involving duplicitous women and a mysterious dingus everyone wants, including the PI, even though he has no clue what it is. The plot seemed simultaneously too complicated and too obvious. The main character was likeable enough, but some of the quirky traits were overdone. For instance, at first I was amused by the interplay with the awe-sticken secretary who has a crush on him, but it became overdone. A lot of the book seemed overdone.

I did find the information on procedure pretty interesting (which I assume is accurate, given that Abshire is an ex-cop and an ex-PI) and would have preferred more of that and less of the exaggerated down-and-outness of the PI. I enjoyed the book well enough, but I'm in no hurry to read others in the series.

Mark