Re: RARA-AVIS: Southwest Crime -- A Clod of Wayward Marl

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 18 Apr 2004

At 12:00 PM 17/04/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>On 16 April 2004, Mbdlevin@aol.com wrote:
>
>: For this month's theme, I inadvertently read "A Clod of Wayward Marl" by
>: Rick DeMarinis (published by Dennis McMillan).
>
>This sounds like one to read. But what's the title mean? Marl?

I have a friend who was married to a geologist. Fortunately, she still has friends among his colleagues (in this case, one Gerry Middleton, a sedimentologist at McMaster University.) Here's your answer:

Marl is a kind of clay with a high content of calcium carbonate. It's somewhere between a clay and a limestone. In the old days, before chemical fertilizers, it was spread on fields, perhaps to reduce acid content.

Best Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com