Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: James Loftus (message from Jack O'Connell)

From: Rene Ribic ( reneribic@bigpond.com)
Date: 15 Apr 2004

> So, what book/s of Gil Brewer's should I read first, assuming I could
find
> them?

I believe there's been some talk of re-issuing some of Brewer's work - film rights to several have been sold & there's at least one film in production. Just about any of Brewer's Gold Medal era books would be a goer - from memory, 13 French Street; The Red Scarf; A Killer Is Loose; Satan is a Woman all stand out although out of about a dozen Brewer's I've read there were only 2 that didn't impress me, Appointment in Hell
(I think) and one the title of which I forget but it was set in France,IIRC. There was a Simon & Schuster Blue Murder paperback edition of 13 French Street and The Red Scarf together put out in the late 80's which might be your best bet for affordable copy of some of his better books, at least until any new editions of Brewer's work are available.
(Actually, come to think of it, doesn't one of the projected re-issues feature a foreword from Mr O'Connell?)

Rene