RARA-AVIS: Richard Abshire

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 14 Apr 2004

Richard Abshire wrote three novels about Dallas p.i. Jack Kyle. The novels are Dallas Drop (1989), Turnaround Jack (1990), and The Dallas Deception
(1992). The one that I picked up for Southwest Month is The Dallas Deception.

Jack Kyle is an interesting guy. He has so little dough that he has to live in his office, but of course he has integrity, and if you have that, you don't need money. The case begins with the familiar amateur porn-tape gambit, but by the end it's become a lot more complicated than that. In fact, far too complicated for my tastes. It veers off into something that's almost science fiction, and the wrap-up goes on forever. At nearly 300 pages, this book is at least 100 pages longer than the Dallas p.i. novel
(W. Glenn Duncan's Rafferty: Poor Dead Cricket) I reported on a few days ago. The writing style in this one might be a little slicker, but I have to confess that I preferred Duncan's book.

Bill Crider