Re: RARA-AVIS: Setting for Charles Williams' HILL GIRL

From: E.Borgers ( wbac12034@tiscali.be)
Date: 12 Apr 2004

HILL GIRL is one of the 3 first novels published by Williams. It is rather naturalistic, following the tradition of some noir from the 30s and 40s- and also of a branch of American mainstream novels of the same period. In HILL GIRL there's certainly something influenced by Erskine Caldwell and the like. So, it's definitely South for its setting, but I do not remember further about setting details.

I found a review and analysis of the book at: http://www.allreaders.com/Topics/Info_16378.asp

 (but I'm not too sure about its reliability) which cites Texas as setting (could be an extrapolation due to Williams' origins?).

There was a film adaptation of the book in France : LA FILLE DES COLLINES (1990) by Robin Davis with not very well known actors; it's set in Southwest France, in the Pyr鮩es region (mountains and high hills between France and Spain).But I didn't see it.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384