RE: RARA-AVIS: Murderous geniuses

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Apr 2004

<<The validity of genius has been discredited, I believe, by its evident cultural specificity,

Beethoven.

<<In the end, it's a bunch of guys saying "Here are the things (especially abstract things) that we do well. If you can't do them too, then you're dumb and can have the hard, physical jobs that we don't want, or you can

be drugged, or institutionalized, or written off entirely." Better to define the dumb when they're young so the mandate can be fulfilled.>>

However, saying that Newton, Mozart, Beethoven, Bartok or Art Tatum was a genius is not to say any of those things. The question of institutionalization, credentialism, condemning people to failure by measuring and ranking, and other socially created ills should be treated separately from inordinate capability. Individual genius does exist.

Best,

MrT