RARA-AVIS: Murderous geniuses: Robison

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 05 Apr 2004

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Robison I've got a fondness for the genius killer in literature. You guys got any other good examples of the genius killer?

Hm. Perhaps the H. H. Holmes analog in Robert Bloch's AMERICAN GOTHIC. (And very arguably the Jeffrey Dahmer analog in Joyce Carol Oates's ZOMBIE. It certainly takes a look at the role of the sociopath in society from the sociopath's perspective.)

The children in a rather hoky story in an "Alfred Hitchcock" anthology (I think one of the collections from AHMM), "The Uses of Intelligence," author forgotten. But it's a pretty good example of attempting to portray muderers of superior intelligence.

I suppose such fiends as Fu Manchu and Moriarty, given their greater ambitions, hardly count.