Re: RARA-AVIS: Lansdale

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 04 Apr 2004

That's a very interesting article. Thanks, Bill.

I've just read my first two Lansdale books, Mucho Mojo and Two-Bear Mambo, both featuring Hap and Leonard. These two heroes are anything but detectives, but they do solve murders several steps ahead of the police. They are not contemptuous of the police; in fact, they are friends with a couple of cops.

The books are pretty violent, with lots of fights and some torture. They are also funny and political, and the men's friendship is very touching. In fact, in between action scenes, the two of them spend quite a lot of time talking about their friendship and love for each other. I was going to say, an unrealistic amount of time, but how realistic is the rest of it?

Anyway, I'm hooked, and am halfway through Bad Chili, with Freezer Burn standing by.

I've also read my first Crider story (Who Killed Cock Rogers?) and novel (A Knife in the Back). As Bill has admitted, they're neither hardboiled nor noir, but not being genre-bound, I thoroughly enjoyed them. There's an extra pleasure in knowing the author.

Karin