Re: RARA-AVIS: 2 quick questions

From: wvr ( wvr12@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Apr 2004

--- Marianne Macdonald
< marianne.macdonald@lineone.net> wrote:
> 1. Will somebody who either uses the word or owns
> an
> American-English dictionary please tell me what a
> "gonif" is/means?
> (ref. first page, Chap. 3 of Campbell's IN LA-LA
> LAND WE TRUST - just
> started it, looks promising).

Hi Marianne, I'll take a stab at it. I believe gonif is a variation of the yiddish ganef, which is a thief or a scoundrel. It definitely has a negative conotation, I've seen it refer to a grifter and another time to more of a hired thug so I think there is some leeway with the usage. I read Campbell's first a while back and enjoyed it. Is this the one that opens with a car accident involving a hearse? That 'scene' was pretty memorable. Best, Will