RARA-AVIS: 2 quick questions

From: Marianne Macdonald ( marianne.macdonald@lineone.net)
Date: 02 Apr 2004

1. Will somebody who either uses the word or owns an American-English dictionary please tell me what a "gonif" is/means?
(ref. first page, Chap. 3 of Campbell's IN LA-LA LAND WE TRUST - just started it, looks promising).

2. Having (see above) recently made a small purchase of 2nd hand paperbacks (and, incidentally, discovered I enjoy Prather), I tried to read a Willeford - PICK-UP. Is anybody able to suggest whether this book is more or less typical of his output?

Marianne Macdonald