Re: RARA-AVIS: comic book Marlowe

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Mar 2004

Andrew,

Re your question below:

> Have any of you come across these comic book
> adaptations of three of
> Chandler's short stories? Any comments? Is it worth
> picking up?

Uneven, since it's three different artists and writers adapting the stories. The three adapted are "The Pencil," "Goldfish," and "Trouble Is My Business."

Of the three, I think I like "The Pencil" the best.
"Goldfish" was, artwise, the least satisfying to me.

All were quite faithful to Chandler's original. In some ways, this collection, and the earlier Michael Lark comic book adaptation of THE LITTLE SISTER are probably the faithful adaptations into another medium ever done on Chandler's work.

JIM DOHERTY