Re: RARA-AVIS: Altered Carbon

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 25 Mar 2004

I read ALTERED CARBON a couple of weeks ago. The comparison to Chandler was pretty far-fetched, I thought. The P.K. Dick part of the blurb means (at least to my way of thinking) that the book's vision is influenced by the movie BLADE RUNNER as much as by Dick's stories and novels. I'd tried once previously to read the book but just couldn't get into it. This time I made it through, but I thought it was waaaaaaaay too long, and parts of it were tedious going for me. It does have its moments, however, and the premise was handled pretty well. I don't know if I'll read the sequel or not.

Bill Crider