RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos in Hogtown

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 24 Mar 2004

George Pelecanos did a reading here in Toronto tonight. He and Peter Robinson (of Inspector Banks fame) each did about half an hour as part of the Harbourfront Reading Series (run by same people who do the International Festival of Authors each fall, which you might know).

He read two scenes from HARD REVOLUTION, one where Derek Strange goes to a house party and runs into a woman he knows, and another where Strange is working as a policeman on the streets during the 1968 riots in Washington. It was nice to hear the words in his voice, to hear where he puts the pauses and how things are phrased.

Afterwards he was signing, and I said hello. He said he wasn't sure if he'd be coming back here for Bouchercon, since he'd be busy with the TV show "The Wire." But he does check in on the archives every month to catch up on what we're talking about, even "the bad things they say about me."

Bill