RARA-AVIS: Australian hardboiled?

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Mar 2004

I've been reading about Australian hardboiled. What exactly happened in 1939 that spurred the homegrown hardboiled industry? I've read it involved an Australian tariff that effectively shut down the import of American lit. Is that so? If yes, why did they do it?

And from what I can see, the homegrown hardboiled publishing industry really didn't get cooking until the early 50s. Was there any 40s hardboiled written in Australia? If yes, who wrote it and what are some titles?

Thanks, miker