Re: RARA-AVIS: More Chandler stories

From: Marc Seals ( mseals@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: 16 Mar 2004

Wow, someone actually READ my absurdly long listserv post!

> The obvious conclusion is that the nameless hero of
> "Finger Man" is Carmady, now finally given a name.

That's a very good point. Thanks, Jim!

> Years later, when Chandler collected those of his pulp
> stories he felt were worthy of preservation in THE
> SIMPLE ART OF MURDER, it was not only the nameless
> hero of "Finger Man" who was identified as Marlowe.
> Carmady from "Goldfish" and Dalmas from "Red Wind" and
> "Trouble Is My Business" also became Marlowe for
> hardback book publication.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Those interested in this issue might be interested in John Apostolou's "AKA Phillip Marlowe," published in the now-defunct journal THE ARMCHAIR DETECTIVE, vol. 9 (1984): pp. 201-02. Apostolou provides a cross-edition chart of the name changes across the short stories.