Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Ken Bruen

From: David Wright ( dwright333@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Mar 2004

> A big surprise to me is that our local library
> has
> these books. When so much of their fiction
> stacks are
> filled with popular best-sellers and odd
> academically
> lit'ry selections, I just have to scratch my
> head when
> I come across treasures like these.

Well, as a public librarian, I gotta stand up and say we try to get something for everyone's taste, as budget allows. Remember, if you're not finding what you want at your local library, consider asking for an Interlibrary Loan, and also let them know what you like - if they've got the money, they'll buy it. Ken Bruen's place on the shelf is assured by the overwhelmingly positive reviews that he (and many other hardboiled & noir writers) regularly get in library review sources like Library Journal and Booklist.
    Someone was mentioning his most recent titles
- his current title is 'The Killing of the Tinkers,' preceded by his brilliant 'The Guards.'

===== David Wright - Seattle Public Library Fiction Dept.

"Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity."
                 -G.K. Chesterton