RARA-AVIS: The Simple Art of Murder

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Mar 2004

David Moran wrote <snipped>:

Tastewise, when you get down to brass tacks, I do prefer Chandler's work to that of the other mystery writers he cites in his essay. Yet the fiction of these other writers is not without its pleasures, and not without its own artistry. Conversely, Chandler's fiction is not without its own unreality, its own implausibility.

************** Thank you for sharing this, David. I just recently read "The Simple Art of Murder" and I was repulsed by the whole thing. The oft-quoted "Down these mean streets..." comment sounds great from the soap box but its gooey sentimentality is just as contrived and formulaic as anything the cozy has to offer.

The whole of the essay is personal emotional baggage poorly disguised as literary commentary.

miker