Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled anthologies/humor

From: Marc Seals ( mseals@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: 09 Mar 2004

Chris,

In addition to the excellent suggestions of Hammett and Chandler (which is chock full of the kind of humor that you seem to like), a good introduction would be _CRIME NOVELS: American Noir of the 1930s and 40s_ (Library of America, 1997). It contains James Cain's _The Postman Always Rings Twice_, Horace McCoy's _They Shoot Horses, Don't They?_, Edward Anderson's
_Thieves Like Us, Kenneth Fearing's _The Big Clock_, William Lindsay Gresham's _Nightmare Alley_, and Cornell Woolrich's _I Married a Dead Man_.

The companion volume is _CRIME NOVELS: American Noir of the 1950s_ (Library of America, 1997). It contains Patricia Highsmith's _The Talented Mr. Ripley_, David Goodis's _Down There_, Jim Thompson's _The Killer Inside Me_, Charles Willeford's _Pick-Up_, and Chester Himes's _The Real Cool Killers_.

Chep, they ain't, but they are simply beautiful editions. If you've never held a Library of America edition in your mitts, you've a treat coming. (I know, I'm a book nerd, but I love a well-made volume.)

~Marc