Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled anthologies/humor

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Mar 2004

Chris,

Re your introduction below:

> Just introducing myself. I've only just gotten into
> the idea of getting
> into hardboiled fiction, though I've always been a
> film noir fan. I
> read "Man With the Getaway Face" due to my great
> affection for
> "Payback" - the film, that is. (I know some don't
> approve of the
> adaptation but I saw the movie first, and love it on
> it's own merits)
> Couldn't find "The Hunter" or I would've read that
> first.

Welcome aboard! I think you'll like it here.

There are editions of THE HUNTER published under the titleS of PAYBACK and POINT BLANK. It's possible you'll have better luck looking under those titles.

> Anyway, a couple of questions. I know there are a
> few mentioned on the
> website, but I was wondering what hardboiled
> anthologies people here
> might recommend.

Joseph T. Shaw's THE HARD-BOILED OMNIBUS, Bill Pronzini's THE ARBOR HOUSE TREASURY OF MYSTERY AND DETECTIVE STORIES FROM THE GREAT PULPS, Ron Goulart's THE HARDBOILED DICKS, Robert Randisi's THE EYES HAVE IT, and, more recently, Michael Bracken's FEDORA and HARDBROILED.

> Also, it seems to me the hardboiled genre is the
> perfect vehicle for
> the sort of deadpan wit I enjoy. Are there any
> particular authors who
> go this route? I know Westlake's other novels are
> supposed to be sort
> of wacky, but I'm thinking more of say, Bogart in
> "The Big Sleep." I
> found "Man With the Getaway Face" like this to some
> extent, and greatly
> enjoyed it.

Jonathan Latimer and Richard S. Prather both approached the PI genre with humor. Ed McBain's 87th Pct procedural, FUZZ, has a lot of farcical touches. Robert Crais's Elvis Cole books usually have a lot of wiseguy snappy patter in them.

Hope you enjoy the group. Once more, welcome aboard.

JIM DOHERTY