Re: RARA-AVIS: April is American southwest month

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 02 Mar 2004

I don't think I'm up to the task of deciding what "the southwest" is. Nobody has ever come up with a satisfactory definition. The two states that nearly everyone includes are Arizona and New Mexico. Texas, or at least the eastern part of it, is probably more southern than southwestern (Joe Lansdale lives in Nacogdoches and is almost certainly more influenced by southern writers than by any other group). South Texas has a strong historical connection to Mexico. West Texas, however, is pretty much southwestern.

So, I'd say Texas, Arizona New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado, maybe even Utah and Nevada. What the heck. Toss in Southern California if you'd like. Zorro could have come from South Texas. Arkansas? Why not? Lousiana? No. Kansas? No.

Bill Crider