Re: RARA-AVIS: April is American southwest month

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 01 Mar 2004

Bill Denton wrote:

> Let's try to save actual discussion until next month, but we need to make
> up a good list of possible titles people can read. Here's what's been
> mentioned so far:
>
> - Richard Abshire
> - James Carlos Baker
> - Neal Barret, Jr., BAD EYE BLUES
> - Fredric Brown
> - W. Glenn Duncan, the Rafferty series (Dallas, Texas)
> - Brett Halliday, MURDER IS MY BUSINESS (El Paso, Texas)
> - Kent Harrington, DIA DE LOS MUERTOS (California/Mexico)
> - Dorothy B. Hughes, RIDE THE PINK HORSE (Santa Fe, New Mexico)
> - Joe Lansdale
> - Max Martinez
> - Edward Mathis, the Dan Roman series
> - J.M.T. Miller
> - Marcia Muller
> - Manuel Ramos
> - James Reasoner, TEXAS WIND
> - Rick Riordan
> - Bernard Schopen
>
> If anyone has other writers, or can add titles, or locations or time
> periods (we'll be reading some westerns), speak up and I'll collect them
> all.
>
> If you can, pick a book (or two) and read them, and in April chip in with
> a brief review or some comments about the setting or anything else.
> There'll be someone out there who hasn't read the book you did, and
> wonders if they should.

How about Tony Hillerman? He seems an obvious choice.

Also, I know next to nothing about her work, but local (to me) Seattle author J.A. Jance has a series with a female sheriff that she's alternating with her long-running Ned Beaumont series. This new series takes place in her native Arizona.

And what about James Lee Burke's stuff? Isn't some of it set in Texas?

Just stirring the drink!

Brian