RARA-AVIS: Poor eyesight

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 18 Dec 2003

In a message dated 12/18/2003 4:00:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca writes:

> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:10:33 -0600
> From: "Bill Crider" < bcrider@houston.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler in the army
>
> Speaking of poor eyesight, weren't both Hemingway and e. e. cummings
> rejected for service because of their eyesight? They both
> volunteered for
> the ambulance corps.
>
> Bill Crider

Unfortunately the Army wasn't all that concerned with poor eyesight when I came along in the late 1960s. Mine is bad and they took people a lot worse than me. In my basic training company there was a guy who kept telling people he was blind in one eye but all the way through induction and then the first physical, he was told "Yeah, yeah, you bet. Keep the line moving." Finally some sergeant believed him and he was taken away and I suppose released.

For some reason this this talk of eyesight reminds me of Ludlow Porch, a writer and radio guy I used to know in Atlanta, who published a book with a title something like CAN I DO IT JUST UNTIL I NEED GLASSES?

Wonder what happened to old Ludlow?

Richard Moore