Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled and Noir

From: Nick Mulherin ( nvm@email.unc.edu)
Date: 14 Dec 2003

I've been enjoying the discussion so far, and I just wanted to interject here, but I don't think Miker's saying that the pessimistic determinism of the American Naturalists is noir, but that the pessimistic determinism of the American Naturalists (that's kind of fun to type) is a literary antecedent to noir. I'm nowhere near as well read in this area as a lot of members of the list, but given what I have read and what I know about AmLit, that seems like a fair assumption. Of course, I'm wicked tired and might be misreading this whole thing...

Best, Nick

----- Original Message ----- From: "JIM DOHERTY" < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 7:22 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled and Noir