Re: RARA-AVIS: Woolrich

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 13 Dec 2003

Two recommendable pieces on Woolrich:

Indiana, Gary -- "Man in the Shadows." Voice Literary Supplement 74 (May 1989): pp. 26-27

[a review of the Nevins biography]

*

Reid, David, and Jayne L. Walker -- "Strange Pursuit: Cornell Woolrich and the Abandoned City of the Forties."

in "Shades of Noir: A Reader" (editor: Joan Copjec; London Verso, 1993): pp. 57-96

[a critical nthology devoted to Film Noir.]

*

Both pieces are good. Even if I didn't like Indiana, though -- which I do -- I would be grateful for his VLS piece, since it represents a gay author (Indiana) dealing with attitudes toward Woolrich's sexuality and how this affects critical response to Woolrich (notably that of Nevins).

Chris

-----Original Message----- From: Moorich2@aol.com Sent: Dec 13, 2003 6:46 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: Woolrich