RARA-AVIS: LOVE AND DEATH

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Dec 2003

Was this you, Miles?: Hemingway wrote the same romance over and over, but without the happy ending. Even "The old man and the sea" is a love story on several levels.

************** Unless all romance is viewed as the same, I have a hard time seeing Hemingway's as the same. It's hard to imagine a more different romance than Brett and Jake in THE SUN ALSO RISES and Jordan and Maria in FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS. Diverging, I have noticed that it's very fashionable for feminists who haven't read Hemingway since they got out of school to label his writing as insensitive and misogynistic. Nothing could be further from the truth, of course. Hemingway's short stories, like "Cat in the Rain" and
"Hills Like White Elephants" are good examples of Hemingway examining male-female relationships.

That aside, Hemingway did write the same theme over and over. All of Hemingway is about grace under pressure. Of course, I guess that's so general that it could be said that's the theme for all literature.

And Leslie Fiedler (LOVE AND DEATH) would wholeheartedly agree with THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA being a love story. Any of you familiar with Fiedler?
 His book comes up often in the subject of violence in American literature and the origins of hardboiled, so I had to have it. Then I find out Fiedler's primary thesis is that American literature is founded in homoeroticism. Huckleberry Finn and Jim were hot for each other and Peequod and Ishmael didn't mind sharing a bunk while searching for the big (Moby) Dick.

miker