Re: RARA-AVIS: More on Bouchercon

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 23 Oct 2003

Hi Richard,

I saw that script and drooled. Were you at Nolan's talk (along with Joe Gores) about Hammett and Chandler? Scathing stuff he had to say about Hellman, huh? I was the guy that Crider was gracious enough to correct when he mis-spoke and mentioned that he thought that Ross MacDonald had written about Chet Drum.

Oops!

Any way, that was a great talk listening to those three guys go on about these authors that had and have influenced "so many writers who have never either read or heard of them."

> A bit more information on the unproduced and unpublished Jonathan Latimer
> screenplay adaptation of Hammett's RED HARVEST. The dealer was Kevin
Johnson of
> Royal Books in Baltimore and the listing (and pic) can be found at
> www.royalbooksonline.com or linking via abebooks.com. It says the
manuscript dates from
> 1941 and has many penciled notations, presumably by Latimer. This is one
year
> before his adaptation of THE GLASS KEY hit the theaters. The listed price
is
> $6,500, which to me seems like a bargain. Of course, that's easy for me
> say since I am not about to buy it.
>
> Once my shipment arrives I will report on more of my finds there. I
shipped
> all the pulps and hardbacks because I had to swing through Chicago on
business
> before getting home. I am really spending too much money on these
things.
> I came home to find a stack of packages from eBay wins, which got me some
> kidding from the family. Good thing they didn't open them and find the
copies of
> Rogue Magazine, the Playboy imitator, or I would have been kidded. At
> Bouchercon I ran into William Nolan who was a regular contributor to
Rogue. He said