RARA-AVIS: The Postman Always Rings Twice

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Oct 2003

Somewhere I heard that the origin of the title of Cain's book involved a story where a woman has taken out a huge life insurance policy on her husband, planning on collecting on it soon. She doesn't want him to see the bill when it comes monthly, so she has a deal with the postman that he rings twice when he sees it in the mail.

Does this ring a bell with anybody? I have no idea where I got the idea. If anybody is familiar with this story, can you tell me the source?

I tried to search the rara-avis archives but they aren't working right now.

Thanks, miker