Re: RARA-AVIS: Science fiction/Hardboiled

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 19 Oct 2003

Paul Farrell wrote:
> If we have a science fiction/hardboiled month, I've got another candidate.
> I'm reading a novel called 'Altered Carbon' by Richard Morgan. It's about
> private eye, who is killed at the beginning of the story, and later
> resurrected in a new body back on Earth, so he can carry out a murder
> investigation for a rich man.

****************************** Sounds cool. I thought Dick's ELECTRIC SHEEP was both hardboiled and noir. I've heard somewhere (here?) that science fiction has taken a stylish turn towards the dark side in the last decade or so. Haven't read him but I've got a Tim Powers novel that I think qualifies as dark. George Martin has written some dark and delightfully tough stuff. I've read the first two in the throne/king/swords series and I'm working on getting my endurance up to reading the 1000+ page third one.

I'm training for it by rereading Earl Thompson's GARDEN OF SAND. Last time I read it was close to 20 years ago. Some books don't measure up under a second reading. This one does. It's spectacular. One of the top five books I've read in my life. Awesome.

miker