RARA-AVIS: Electric Sheep

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Oct 2003

Wasn't there talk about having a theme month of hardboiled and noir science fiction?

Just finished Dick's DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP. I've read a lot of science fiction but this is my first by him. Good book. It covered a short span of time and maybe because of that it seemed like an extended short story. I liked the way he blended all the literary devices together. The modern Mercerism religion played on the Greek legend about Sisyphus eternally rolling the big stone uphill. He tapped noir for an android femme fatale.

The story is about bounty hunter Rick Deckard on a post-apocalyptic Earth searching out and destroying runaway androids. It's dark and moody, and violence comes fast.

miker