Re: RARA-AVIS: The Evil Friendship and Heavenly Creatures

From: Marijane Meaker ( mjmeaker@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Oct 2003

I didn't know about the play. The movie was done long after I wrote my book, I liked it but but I thought it was too fanciful. I read the real trial transcripts, letter, all there was, and the trial happened shortly before, so it was fresh in my mind. I certainly wouldn't call the movie
"noir." Nor did they capture the true crazy imaginativeness of Hulme, now Anne Perry. It was a major crime, and the movie didn't go into the girls' personalities in any depth, not their home situation, homosexuality etc. It was too light for my taste.

I did base many of my stories on true crime. Whisper His Sin, was the Fraden-Wepman cyanide cocktail case, for example and Dark Don"t Catch Me was Emmett Till case....Packer

Paul Farrell < pm_farrell@hotmail.com>