RARA-AVIS: The Evil Friendship and Heavenly Creatures

From: Paul Farrell ( pm_farrell@hotmail.com)
Date: 12 Oct 2003

Mark Sullivan wrote:
>Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:48:34 -0400 (EDT)
>From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net (Mark Sullivan)
>Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Ms Meaker: Hardboiled
>
>Ms Meaker wrote:
>
>"Boucher himself wrote me suggesting I do The Evil Friendship. It was
>based on the real New Zealand case(matricide) Parker-Hulme. Many years
>later Hulme was released and she writes today very well as Anne Perry."
>
>The movie Heavenly Ceatures was based on this case, too, right?

Yes, the film Heavenly Creatures was also about the Parker-Hulme case. Here in New Zealand it's an infamous murder. Trivia note: The film's director was Peter Jackson, whose latest movies are the Lord of the Rings films. I suppose Heavenly Creatures could be called a noir fantasy (especially the final section). It's an excellent film, one of the best that New Zealand has produced.

There has also been a play written about the murder. It's by Michaelanne Forster, and is called Daughters of Heaven.

Paul

_________________________________________________________________ Find your perfect match @ http://personals.xtramsn.co.nz with XtraMSN Personals!