RARA-AVIS: Gold Medal: Meaker

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 09 Oct 2003

Thanks! It's taken me this long to dig back into my mail and find this.

I know the NYC Paperback Expo will always be glad to have you...do you make it very often? (Writes the man who's caught the tail end of exactly one so far.)

In HIGHSMITH, you mention that Knox Burger was much less enjoyable to work with than Carroll...was it KB or other factors that led you to de-emphasize the Packer and other adult-oriented work in favor of the Kerr career? Were other publishers pursuing you for Packers or similar material?

TM, eventually

-----Original Message----- From: Marijane Meaker [mailto: mjmeaker@yahoo.com] Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 2:05 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Indeed, Welcome, Ms. Meaker

[There are some problems with Ms. Meaker's mail going out to the list, so I'll cut out the attachments and forward them to the list. -- The Listowner]

Hi Todd. I hope I'm doing this right. Yes, I worked briefly at Gold Medal as a "reader/secretary" under Dick Carroll, the editor who inspired me to write my first G.M. I had nothing to do with bringing Dick Matheson in. Dick was already making a name for himself, and he published long before I ever did....Also, I don't know anything about what Mike mentions as a meeting of "vintage" etc. Cheers! MM, VP.