Re: RARA-AVIS: Gorman's Noir Westerns

From: Ron Clinton ( clinton65@att.net)
Date: 06 Oct 2003

Gorman's very noirish westerns include WOLF MOON, THE SHARPSHOOTER, LYNCHED, VENDETTA, GHOST TOWN, LAWLESS and RELENTLESS. He's written other earlier western fiction, but the ones mentioned are those ones I'd think would most closely echo the noir flavor. He has a brand new one out entitled THE GUN TRUTH, and while I haven't read it *yet*, I can only assume it's likely another of the noir ilk.

H.A. Derosso is another western writer that has a distinct dark and desperate noir tone to his work (particularly his short stories, many of which are collected in several Five-Star HC collections)...he's been labeled by some as the "Cornell Woolrich of the Old West" and, in truth, comes close to fulfilling that promise.

Ron Clinton

From: "Bill Crider" < bcrider@houston.rr.com>