RARA-AVIS: Willeford's DIFFERENCE

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Oct 2003

David Wright wrote:
> If you get the chance, check out his 'The
> Difference,' originally published as 'Hombre from
> Sonora' under the name Will Charles. If there
> was ever such a thing as a Noir Western, this is
> it.

************ Thanks for the recommendation, David. I ordered it from Abebooks. I was starting to run low on unread Willeford anyway. I think I've got WOMAN CHASER and another Hoke Moseley and that's it. Oh! I've got MACHINE IN WARD ELEVEN, too.

I haven't read a lot of Westerns. Closest I can think of to a noir Western is McCarthy's BLOOD MERIDIAN. It's got the through-the-roof dark and sinister atmosphere, but there ain't a whole lot of the fear and desperation that I usually associate with noir.

Thanks again, miker