RARA-AVIS: Another question for Ms Meaker

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Oct 2003

Ms Meaker,

This is still on the theme of what you've read, but just going back a few years. During your Gold Medal period, can you name some of the authors and books that influenced your writing? Authors are sometimes compared to earlier writers that they never read. I think that Boucher compared your Vin Packer style to O'Hara, didn't he? I've only read O'Hara's APPOINTMENT IN SAMARRA, but I can see how a comparison is justified. You both deal with the corrosive effects of a harsh society on the human psyche, and you both have an element of social history in your work.

Thanks, miker