Re: RARA-AVIS: The fifties

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 03 Oct 2003

> What did you think of Halberstam's book THE FIFTIES,
> Mario? I've got a copy of it but I'm afraid to read
> it because I might drop it and break my foot. The
> darn thing is huge.

Speaking as a professionally trained historian (any day now, that MA in History is going to pay off!), I've read "The Fifties," and it works well as an overview and compendium of the era. If you're looking for an interpretive history, you should probably consider looking elsewhere. I will say that I think that Halberstam at times does a wonderful job of capturing the *feel* of the era.

All the Best,

Brian