Re: RARA-AVIS: Kantner's first Ben Perkins book

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 01 Oct 2003

Mark Sullivan wrote:
> If you like the first, you'll probably like them all. Kantner started
> very good and got even better. By the time he got to, say, Thousand
> Yard Stare, his muscle car firing on all cylinders.

************ OK. Talked me into it. Man, I love Abebooks. The books are cheaper than the shipping.

I finished Didion's PLAY IT AS IT LAYS. Pretty damn good. I couldn't find the Pauline Kael review for the movie that Chris recommended, but I did find another long essay on Didion. The basic premise was that the book is invalid because rich and beautiful people don't have a right to be miserable. It sounded pretty convincing but I have some reservations.

Just got a book called THE PARADISE EATER, by John Ralston Saul. Somehow I ended up looking at a book called BANGKOK 8 on Amazon and one of the reviews recommended this one instead. I was pleased to find out the writer is Canadian, since I've been reading Canadian hardboiled too.

miker