RE: RARA-AVIS: Motherless Brooklyn

From: cs_will@btopenworld.com
Date: 16 Aug 2003

Miker wrote:
>I loved it. Great book. Talented author. He's
> not a genre author, is he? Is this the only thing he's done that
> falls within the realm of hardboiled?

I hate to open up the old definitions debate again, but Motherless Brooklyn is hardly hardboiled. The central character is a twitching mass of confusion and desperate need - which is good, but hardly makes for hardboiled. Personally I thought it was a trifle overlong. Decent novel though, one of those ones that just had to be written.

Charlie.