RE: RARA-AVIS: Motherless Brooklyn: Robison

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 15 Aug 2003

Well, Mike, I have a problem with the notion of "genre" vs. non-genre writers, but Lethem has written other fiction which at least rubs up against cf, GUN, WITH OCCASIONAL MUSIC being the most obvious example, which also draws on the fantastic fiction (fantasy, sf, etc.) that much of his early work is. He's a writer who doesn't restrict himself. His contributions are the major reason, perhaps aside from the They Might Be Giants music and Michael Chabon's recent guest-edited issue (reaching a much wider audience as a paperback item), that MCSWEENEY'S, Dave Eggers's magazine and chapbook series, shouldn't be expunged.

I've been meaning to get to Frazier for years, but get the impression he's more pretentious than Lethem, whom I'd definitely refer to as ambitious, instead. TM

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Robison [mailto: zspider@gte.net]

I loved it. Great book. Talented author. He's not a genre author, is he? Is this the only thing he's done that falls within the realm of hardboiled?

I can't put my finger on it, but it reminds me some of Charles Frazier's COLD MOUNTAIN.