Re: RARA-AVIS: Leonard's When the women come out...

From: Jesse Willis ( jessewillis@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Aug 2003

I'm an off again on again fan of Leonard's, I find some of his novels ("Out Of Sight" is the best example) to be among the best of their genre. Others I've found almost unreadble City Primeavel.

As for When The Women Come Out To Dance, I was most struck by how nearly every story in the collection reads as a chracter study/prequel to a Novel: Chickisaw Charlie = Tishimingo Blues, Karen Makes Out
= Out of Sight Etc. All of the short stories themselves have more character than plot and while this makes them interesting as curiosity companions to the novels I was left unsatisfied by the read.

In comparison, Block's "Enough Rope" had me, in nearly every tale, completely satisfied. The short stories
"Cleveland In My Dreams", "How Would You Like It",
"Like A Bug On A Windshield", "Somedays You Get The Bear", "Answers To Soldier" and "Sometimes they Bite" are among my favorite short stories of all time!

Jesse

===== SFFAudio: http://www.sffaudio.com