Re: RARA-AVIS: Leo Malet

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 05 Aug 2003

Bill,

If you're interested in books built on the layout of Paris, you should check out The Erasers by Alain Robbe-Grillet. As I recall, the murders are very specifically placed on the city's map.

And miker, if you are getting into the late modernist/postmodern, undependable narrator books, you should definitely check out Robbe-Grillet (purveyor and theorist of "The New Novel"), starting with either The Voyeur or Jealousy.

I going to say they are very French in style, but they have a lot in common with Alexander Trocchi's books, especially Young Adam (has anyone seen the movie? is it really that bad?) and he was Scottish, though he was, for a time, tied to the Situationists (before Debord kicked him out, or did he quit?). Of course, Young Adam really reminded me of Camus's The Stranger, so maybe we're back to its being a French style/worldview. Then again, The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick by Peter Handke had much the same feeling as those two, so . . .

Mark