Re: RARA-AVIS: Ken Bruen

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 28 Jul 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donna" < donna.moore@virgin.net>
> He has another series set in London which is also apparently very
> hard-boiled (I have them but not read them as yet), and he's labelled as
> Brit-noir.

Definitely shouldn't be. He's Irish. About as British as Joyce or Yeats.

Bruen knows noir first hand. Here's the intro to a recent interview with him:

"You're a teacher, for Christ's sake, taking a drink in a pub in Rio de Janeiro.
 It's 1979: You're over there to teach presumably grateful Brazilians to speak English. A fight breaks out. You and every other European in the joint are rounded up and jailed. Bad enough, but your captors are sadistic whack-jobs: They shove your head into buckets of excrement and rape you. You slide into a self-described state of "catatonia." Your captors hold onto you for several months. Half-a-year later you emerge from the Brazilian jail, dangerously skinny and vaguely suicidal. Upon reflection, you decide not to take yourself out - why let them win? (Your fellow European inmates seemingly lack your determination for survival and soon die or go missing.) Where do you go from there?"

The rest of the interview is available at: http://www.modestyarbor.com/ken_brueninterview.html

Al