Re: RARA-AVIS: HEART OF DARKNESS

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 25 Jul 2003

Mark Sullivan wrote:
> Although Coppola clearly explored that myth, was that really Conrad's
> intention to do so? I think he was far more concerned with exposing the
> colonialism inherent in the White Man's Burden.

************ I agree. I've got a copy of HEART OF DARKNESS that's got a bunch of really, really artsy interpretations at the end. They are as different from each other as night and day, with each one of them declaring their interpre- tation as definitive. And then there's another essay where Conrad expresses amazement over all the avant garde fantasies his work has churned up. The most obvious interpretation of his work is a statement on imperialism, and that is indeed what he intended.

miker