RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V5 #236

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 23 Jul 2003

>They don't lose at their jobs, but the rest of their life
>sucks. They have few friends. They don't like hardly anybody.
>They are not happy.

I wouldn't totally disagree with this, but the best books I read last year featured hardboiled detectives with families, specifically James Lee Burke's JOLIE BLON'S BOUNCE (Dave Robicheaux) and Walter Mosley's BAD BOY BRAWLEY BROWN and SIX EASY PIECES (Easy Rawlins). Certainly they have some problems, but I found them more interesting because they broke the "loner" mold.

BTW, I was cruising the ClueLass site the other day, and I saw there's a novel coming out by a new writer - Alafair Burke, JL's daughter. No idea what it's like.

Graham