Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Politics

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 21 Jul 2003

Jim D wrote:

"Read the source novel for BULLITT before you dismiss that film as a procedural. The hero of Robert L. Fish's MUTE WITNESS, . . ."

My copy of the retitled movie tie-in paperback gives the author as Robert L Pike. Now I know Pike was a pseudonym of Fish's (or is it the other way around?), but has this book been issued under both names?

"Bullitt becomes a "renegade," therefore, less because he bucks his superiors to get the job done, since Clancy does as much without losing his "procedural" status, than because he's a young, hip swinger who wears turtlenecks and corduroy sportscoats."

Don't forget the Mustang, which continues to be a signifier of cool in hardboiled lit. How many PI's, for instance, drive them?

Mark