RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled politics

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@postikaista.net)
Date: 19 Jul 2003

Jim:

> Marlowe, Spade, the Op, Archer, etc., do their jobs,
> keep their promises, uphold their committments, and,
> when this steely resolve puts them in harm's way, they
> face danger bravely. That's what heroes do.

Then ordinary people are heroes, since that what all people should do.

I have been thinking about this fascism thing. It has come up before somewhere and I think there is a point in there: hardboiled mysteries are about the universe where the order is dependent on an individual, even though the order isn't always restored by that individual. I don't really know if it's fascism, but it's close, if we only take it to its conclusion.
(That's what Hitler did: restored the order.)

I've also been thinking about police procedural novel in the same context. It's politically more leftist, since there are no heroical individuals, but the order is kept by the community and the men and women who are elected and trained by the community itself. And the police are very often shown to be part of the proletariat (not in the Leninist sense of the word), as is the case in Collin Wilcox and other pp writers. They are not the brave individuals, but only parts of the community and society. Society itself restores the order, which is I think what should happen - in the real world, fixers, heroes, that stuff belongs to fiction.

Juri