Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled politics

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Jul 2003

Jim:

<<"Fixers," to use your term for those who set things right in a tough colloquial fashion, have greater nobility of character than the general population for the clear and simple reason that they are heroes and it is in the nature of heroes to have greater nobility of character than the general population.>>

Yes, but why is, say, John Marshall Tanner seen as a hero by the readers?

<<Nobility of character aside, "fixers" do what they do because doing what they do is their vocation, and when what one does is a vocation, he doesn't argue about it. He just does it.>>

A lot of PIs don't seem particularly "vocational". Lew Archer,for example, knows that more often than not the situation will be worse after his intervention. Yet he gets into it. It's more like accepting a fate than following a vocation. We know he's not happy. He may even be depressed.

Some day, we'll get to the bottom of it. In any case, no question that nobility of character + bravery are highly desirable in a hero. They're highly desirable in a human, period.

Best,

MrT