Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled politics

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Jul 2003

Mario,

Re your question below:

> This is no joke: I was mentally going over a list of
> fixers
> and damn if I could understand why they do what they
> do.
> Don't tell me it was nobility of character: that's a
> rare
> quality and I don't see why fixers would have more
> than the
> general population.

I was going to stay out of this thread, but this comment is a perfect example of why over-analysis can cause one to miss the obvious.

"Fixers," to use your term for those who set things right in a tough colloquial fashion, have greater nobility of character than the general population for the clear and simple reason that they are heroes and it is in the nature of heroes to have greater nobility of character than the general population.

Nobility of character aside, "fixers" do what they do because doing what they do is their vocation, and when what one does is a vocation, he doesn't argue about it. He just does it.

JIM DOHERTY